Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 1

March 5th - Day 1

As my alarm went off.  I hit snooze.  I want to relish our morning snuggles.  Eventually, the dogs bladders won out and our day began.  Jake's appetite was good.  We took our time getting ready for the day.

First stop,was the Vet Clinic.  Everyone commented on how much better he looked today. And he did!  He looked so  good, I snapped a photo.

His red blood count was at 28%.  The vet seemed satisfied. We spoke about do's and don'ts.. I am going to go in once a week and get levels checked.  And of course, any issues to bring Jake in.

Off to work we went.  We stopped for coffee, again. Jake slept most of the morning. At lumch we hit McD's; cheeseburger, french fries and a vanilla cone.  We stopped at a local park, ate, and  enjoyed our wonderful weather.
Shortly after we got there, a man with a black dog also arrived. He had a Frisbe.  Jake's head turned.

I enticed Jake's focus with the fries but his eyes went back to the game. I began to wonder if he wanted to go play.  If this sitting and watching was causing him anxiety in some way.  I quickly looked and we watched as the dog leap up in the air. I whisper to Jake "You do that".   About that same time, my beloved flydog pulled to the end of his leash.  I knew it was time to go. He wanted to partake in the game. How does he understand "no"?  Another piece of my heart broke off for Jake.  He won't be able to run, leap and catch again.  I must remember we had numerous catch games with many objects during many seasons.  He has had more catches than most.

More Jake selfies .






Back to work.  He slept most of the day, enjoying the classical piano music I picked from spotify for us.

I often look over, check his breathing.  One time I observed him chasing rabbits :-)  After one of his power pees, I spent time giving him his front leg rubs.  It is his most favorite and we have done it since puppy hood.  He will even use his legs to clue me in.  He nudges his muzzle under my head too. I speak with him, sing "his song".  I like to see his tail wag when he hears my voice.  My sister posted the below verse on my FB page.  I love it an it reminds me.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

 I began to cry as reality once again settles in.  A phone call breaks the moment.

We drive home. I rest my arm on the arm rest.   I turn my hand, palm up.  He likes to put his chin there.  That is how we drive home most of the way.  He alternates between that and moving back to his bead.  He always returns for his chin palm.

Grammy and Grampy arrive to visit again.  He is happy as happy can be.  I am a little frightened by all the jumping Jake is doing, Zoe body slamming him, wiggling and motion etc that is happening as they enter.  But hell - who am I to rob him of his happiness?  If he ruptures because of love, that would be ok.  According to Grammy and Grampy, you wouldn't even know he is sick.  Yes, today has been a good day for Jake.  I'kk take it!

They leave and we eat dinner.  The rest of our evening  is uneventful.  I make mental notes of the places I want to take him.    I type this as I watch him sleep on his bed.

Before I go to sleep, I review, ok try to review, my day .  I end my day on my knees in prayers thanking God for all I have .  All my gratitude right now is for another day with Jake and  for the gifts he has given. Tonight I'll add in how grateful I am for the beautiful day to which we were able to eat a cheeseburger together at a park.