Sunday, November 2, 2008

Miss Maddie and Neeko meet briefly

Miss Maddie has a walk routine. She walks with her backpack, gentle leader (which I remove 1/2 thru the walk). I always gate the room of the door we exit and enter thru. That way when we walk in the door, Jake and Zoe don't bolt out. After Miss Maddie walks, she goes into her crate while I walk the other two. This is her routine.

As of Thrursday, Maddie and Neeko haven't met. They have only heard or smelled each other thru the door. This is one introduction that is going to take some time.

Well, Thursday I walk in the door and Neeko is standing at the gate. DH let her out of her crate. Miss Maddie looks and I pop her treats. She continues to look and doesn't bark or lunge. I continued to click and treat I only did this for maybe 1 minute or so, and into the crate Maddie went. I was so excited I almost cried. I called our favorite trainer , Anna, and just had to tell her - she would understand how happy I was. And she would understand if there were tears in my voice.

Friday, I had Maddie in the living room with the gate up. Neeko was on the other side of the gate. Maddie saw her. I quickly leashed Maddie and did about 3-5 minutes of commands with Maddie and the click and treat. No reaction..

Saturday, i gated the stairs going up to the second floor. Neeko on the steps, Maddie in the kitchen area. I leashed Maddie and we did commands with click and treat. Neeko stuck her head thru the railing a few times and I called Maddie and she came to me. Maddie also stood by Neeko, with only the railing seperating them, and Maddie sniffed Neeko all over. they even came nose to nose with no reaction.! w00t!

I know none of this was off leash - which may cause a different reaction. It was all controlled with leash and treats. I have read they should meet in a neutral location with each being on a leash controlled by another person. Unfortunately, my other half is not willing to help in this area and I can't ask a neighbor. So we make due where we can

But I just can't tell you how PROUD I am of Maddie. My heart just about bursts! I just don't understand why she isn't having her typical on leash reaction as she does when she sees dogs outside. And maybe she will eventually - I really don't know.

We will continue to take it one step at a time and very slow.

1 comment:

myspoileddogs said...

When you are ready, I am happy to help with introductions! Just let me know!

I am so glad things are going well. I think Dylan does better meeting dogs after he has had them in the house for a while. They get used to each other's presence.

LMK if you need any help at all! I am of course happy to do what I can!