Thursday, November 13, 2008

Changes in Miss Maddie

First, and it has nothing to do with the title of my post - but not having a camera is so bugging me!

Ok back to post about Miss Maddie
Maddie is changing. Maybe I am just over thinking - over watching her actions and reactions.

Her and Neeko have been in the same room a few times now for short periods of time,(it's a long story how - but it was the other half's doing). Maddie is not reactive at all. In fact, she seems bewildered. Her body language is not in aggressive mode as I have seen in the past but it's not relaxed like it is when she is around Jake or Zoe.

The other day, when riding in the car, Miss Maddie saw two dogs onthe sidewalk. All she did was look - no lunging or going ballistic like in the past.

I posted about Maddie's reaction to Neeko on Pit Bull Forum(PBF) or lack of, . One of the behaviorists/trainers told me Maddie may just not know how to play with a puppy - since she has never been around one. Neeko's movements may puzzle Maddie. Neeko's zoomies, her bounciness and her jumping all over confuses Miss Maddie - at least that is what her face seems to say. Neeko has jumped on Maddie a few times (YIKES) and Maddie did not react. She just keeps looking at me like " WTH is that and what am I suppose to do with it?". Miss Maddie has play bowed to her a few times (YEA).

Miss Maddie has also gone into her safe place (her crate) a lot more often this past week. She lays in there longer after eating and sometimes she just goes in there to relax?. My heart kind of hurts when I see her do that. Maybe hurt isn't the right word...I am trying to spend more time with Maddie - working on commands and playing tug - trying to build her confidence. Or just sitting with her giving her rubs....

Her non re-activeness is puzzling me - and maybe she is just puzzled. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE IT - but at the same time it could just be a phase she is going thru during all these changes in our home (paws and fingers crossed it is not).

I am also incorporating a little suggestion given by someone on PBF to help Maddie get use to Neeko's fast movements.

You can help her by manipulating the way the pup behaves around her, without physical contact just yet.Young dogs tend to get into adult dog faces with behaviors that are considered rudeness in the canine world, and often intimidate those animal who don't know how to take them.They get physical in a clumsy and pushy way, which is not such a good idea around dogs that are already worried.It might be useful if you have Maddie around when you start doing some focus work with the pup.Your husband can hold the leash and treat Maddie while you move back and forth with the pup on leash.If you started to target train the pup you can use your target and lure some movements around.The distance you choose, between Maddie and the pup, depends on Maddie's body language.You can increase it or decrease it depending on what you see from both dogs.I like to do this when I think it is time to take down barriers between my dogs and a new dog and find it useful.The dog that is more reactive gets used to the other moving around, without being overwhelmed by inappropriate physical interaction.On the other hand the less reactive dog cannot be acting like a spaz, vocalize, or just contribute to create more problems.If you can get to work with the pup around Maddie, without barriers (on leash) and at close distance with her remaining relaxed you are already at a good point.There is no hurry for them to physically interact.That is something that you will evaluate depending on those two dogs behaviors.

See why I love PBF??!!!

1 comment:

myspoileddogs said...

Ahh it is so nice to hear that maddie is being a good girl. I find that Dylan grows more tolerant of other dogs as time goes by! I hope the same goes for Maddie!

Give that maddie a kiss for me!