Friday, March 27, 2009

Experiment update

So, I said I would update my blog on the experiment.

Now, by dog #1 - which is usually Jake, she is barking and clawing at her crate. We have only been able to do the experiment once outside - due to the mud pit (my girls will not touch the yard when it is like this - prissy's!). When we did do it outside, Sneek was all about the tug.

Sneek is starting to become more playful. She has started to initiate play with me - rare for Sneek. We do a lot of chase games - her chasing me around the couch int he living room. We have also started to play hide and seek in the room. When we do those things, I sometimes get on my hands and knees - I know- you wish you could see photos of this for a good belly laugh.

Last night, Maddie and I were playing tug in front of Sneek with a regular tug. Sneek started to go nuts. So, I am wondering if it is not so much the tug - but the "I am jealous" or "I want to play with mom". She is also starting to bark and whine when I leave with one of the dogs or leave for work - heck even when I go out the door to do something outside! This is a new behavior for her. Some may say "you need to nip that in the butt" or "well, she does have SA". But for me, this is a good thing and is starting to show that our bond is strengthening - just want I want. She wants to be with ME because Mom = FUN; Mom = All GOOD things! She also let me cut her nails last night - w00t!

I have been working on Sneek naming objects; mainly the ball and the training tug. While feeding her, I tell her find her ball or tug. Once she touches the object - click; kibble. Yes, we work one at a time since this is new to her. She is getting it - but once I put them out at the same time, I am sure we will have some work to do. Teaching her to name the object is the beginning step of teaching her a retrieve. I have never had to "teach" a dog retrieve before - so this is very foreign to me.

All in all - she is coming along. She is make strides in other areas - but I don't want to put Astrid to sleep so I won't type it all out :) I am sure Sneek will back slide - sure she might be different in other environments - but heck she is much better than she was two months agao

And just so you aren't completely bored reading the above, here is a short video from January 09

3 comments:

myspoileddogs said...

YIPPEE Sounds like she is making good progress! I am so impressed...Changes don't happen overnight but there are definitely good signs that she is bonding and learning with you!!

LMK if you want to get together and work on recalls....I know of some mostly fenced parks and stuff too besides my yard and Paul's yard!!

R3K9S said...

Yep, definitely good signs...Hopefully, we can continue to make progress. I am sure their will be some hurdles and hills; but aren't there always. And how boring is live without a little challenge now and then :)

Lady Vikes Softball said...

Good job Ann. You are a wonderful mom and I am sure things will turn out fine. I would love to get together and run with your herd if you can put up with little brother. Just let us know.