Monday, March 16, 2009

When all else fails....

Desperate times require desperate measures. I have resorted to manipulation and straight up low down bribery . I am a girl on a mission.

I decided to do an experiment. I don't know - is the experiment right/wrong, or good/bad? Only time will tell.

What do I need to complete this mission;
A dog that is reluctant to tug - a RTD dog(no it doesn't stand for that - hehe at least not on purpose - it is for reluctant tug dog)
A crate - wire one works best so the RTD can see everything
A tug toy that the RTD kind of shows interest in
A few dogs that do love to tug (#1, #2, #3, etc)
An enclosed room

Put RTD in crate.
Grab dog #1 and the toy you will use.
Right in front of RTD, play tug with dog 1. Really get the dog #1 going - if he growls great. Then throw toy, while holding dog 1, and play ready set go (RSG). Make sure to throw toy right in front of crate. Send dog 1 to get toy. Then have dog #1 chase you (because RTD dog loves that too) and play tug again. Play a game of retrieve with the tug with dog #1. Again, right in front of the crate. Repeat RSG until RTD tail is wagging and looking at tug and dog #1.

Repeat above with dog #2 and #3. By middle of session with dog #2, RTD is really really interested in this game - jumping in crate; looking at you, & watching the tug. Then bring the Big Guns out - dog #3. Now, by time you are into the first throw with dog #3, RTD is clawing at crate and barking her head off. But don't give in just yet. Continue to play with dog #3. Really get the RTD wanting to play with you and the tug. The more RTD barks and claws in the crate - the better

Now it's time to bring RTD out to play. RTD is now ready to play tug. RTD is now playing RSG - burning carpet to get to the tug. RTD is growling when she tugs. Keep session short and put the toy away while RTD is still hungry for it. Ahhhhh....both you and RTD are happy.

So that has been my experiment these past two days. I will continue it for a week - eventually bringing the game outside. Guess I will see if RTD interest in the tug is different than prior to experiment.

6 comments:

BC Insanity said...

.... and why not?

G.

R3K9S said...

Yep, you are right. Why not give it a try.

myspoileddogs said...

Glad to hear you found something that is working with that sneaky girl.....paws crossed for continued success!

R3K9S said...

Thanks MSD...not sure if it will work in the long run...only time will tell :)

Astrid said...

You are a hard worker. All that reading made me tired.

R3K9S said...

Well, that is the last thing I want to do - make Astrid tired. Please please please forgive me for putting you in that position. I feel so bad I think I am going to cry - hehehehehe

As a side note - she growled at me last night while tugging during this exercise - little sh&t!