Thursday, May 13, 2010

Another Mother's Day Come and Gone

Well, another Mother's day has come and gone.

I pretty much ignored it - I am good at ignoring my feelings. Denial is a river in Egypt, I say. I turned the radio to a different station when a commercial came on. I did the same thing on the sappy TV commercials. Heck, if I even sniffed the word "mother" on a FB post, my eyes darted to the next. I avoided all card isles and gifts for the day.

And then came Sunday. I had to run to Barbara's and drop off some stuff she needed me to pick up at Sam's. On Mother's day, the dogs always get their Grammy something. So, I needed to stop and get her a card and a gift. I pulled into Walgreen's -didn't think much of it - I thought most of the Mother cards would be gone - plus I am good at diversions. In and Out I thought. I walked down the card isle looking for "grandmother" tabs. Then I saw a card - a card my eyes were drawn too. On auto pilot I picked it up. It read; " The connection you have with a daughter - it's not always simple or perfect ever day or without a wish for a do-over or two. But it's alwways love, always a check mark in the blessings column, and always, always one of the best joys in life". Hence, I lost it - in the middle of Walgreens..I never learn do I?

I bought the card. Not sure why. I thought maybe I would write a letter to Mom and put it in my "God Can". But the more I thought about it - a little seed inside of me thought maybe it was a little message from her. I really don't believe in those things - but something - some hope or light inside- put that thought into my head. Maybe I was just looking for a message subconsciously. Maybe I am forcing the message. I don't know. But I am going to hold onto the seed and believe for a little while..