Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One week

One Week old

Day 5
Day 4
Yesterday, was day 7 . Trying to get her to move the babies to a clean blanket. It's not happening. Billy is able to get close without her running away, and so am I. I sit out in the garage and watch the kittens - sometimes travel from one side of her to the other. Or watch her try and get comfortable so they each have a nipple. We watched a black one and the orange one fight for a nipple the other night. Their paws are so cute. I watched the lighter orange one try and get her nail out of the blanket to crawl over Java - squealing the whole time.

I am trying to figure out how to contain them once they are able to really move. Too many hiding spaces in the garage. I thought about an xpen - but I know Java will jump it - but maybe I can put a tarp on the top. I don't think a dog crate will be large enough for her, the litter box etc.

I feel bad Jinga has been vanished from the garage, especially with the heavy rain we had. We set up a crate on the front step with a tarp over it - but I don't think she is using it. I miss seeing her in the am and am worried she isn't eating properly, not that she can't stand to loss a few pounds. I see the neighbors cat at the porch food bowl more than I see Jinga.

I can't tell the difference between the 3 black ones. The orange kittens - one is darker and one is lighter so that is easy. The orange kittens seem much more active than the black; and talk much more. I am kind of smitten with them.

Watching them is actually very interesting to me - a wonder of life I have never seen. Billy is still a kid in a candy store with them - reading everything he can. He comes in telling me the latest info he finds via the net - suggestions, changes we will see, etc. Glad he is taking some responsibility raising them. With all that is going on, I am glad to have him help.

3 comments:

BC Insanity said...

So stinking cute to say the least.
You can't stop Java from relocating the kittens if she wants to unless you close her off. I used one of my bc's wire crate for mama cat and her two offspring. I have a small litter box. You can have it if you want to use it.
But if you just want to contain the kittens from wandering off into some nooks and crannies of the garage you can put them in a plastic baby pool, they'll slide cause it's slippery and won't be able to get out, until they start to jump ;-), but Java can still get out and stretch out in the meantime

R3K9S said...

plastic baby pool is a great idea!
Billy was able to change the bedding finally.

BTW - Java is letting me touch her - and she purrs when I do.
Kittens, at least the orange ones, are starting to open their eyes.

BC Insanity said...

WOW, she purrs!!! That's huge. Maybe she needed those motherly instincts to kick in and overpower the feral ones. That's way cool.