Monday, February 2, 2009

We are back.

Well we are back from a nice warm weekend in St George.

I am happy to report that our green dogs did AMAZING. Bailey, Ryker, Hannah - WOW WOW WOW. It was the highlight of my weekend. You can read all about their success on the Utah Tail Blazers Blog. I even got to run Hannah - who is so much fun to run. You can see some videos here. Our team dogs did really well. Lucie, at 12 years old, was so consistent. Chaser too! His endurance was amazing. Some of his Dad's passes gave me a few heart stops! Zoey and Jana rocked at starts. Zoey just kept getting faster and faster. Raygen and Ryker got to run on the team. They each earned titles because they ran clean in the line up. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. So proud of everyone!

Jake's racing was off this weekend. There are probably 100 reasons why, but really they would just be excuses and full of denial. Guess it's just better to say - Jake did not race well this weekend. But maybe my expectations of him were too high. In addition, my energy was not as positive as it usually is - so I bet he picked up on that. Then again, when I review the tournament, maybe he did not do as bad as I thought. Guess it doesn't matter. He had fun.

He continues to only get three feet on the box. His left foot hits between the bottom of the box and the ground. This is something we are constantly working on, and we will continue to work on.

But enough negative things about Jake. The positive so outweighs the negative. And to be honest, I am tired of hearing the negatives!!!! Especially, when it is the first thing out of someone's mouth and I am not in a good place. It really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

He did run a 4.39 in singles, but it did not move him up in standings (his fastest is 4.305).

I will say that he did not bobble at all this weekend, and I only had 2 early passes all weekend with Jake. My passes were much better this tournament than the last one. I think he averaged a 4.7, with his fastest time being a 4.53 during last heat on Sunday. I switched my reward to what I call, "doggie crack".

Sneek did good in her x-pen during the tournament. She loves watching the dogs race - she gets all riled up. I tried to get her to focus on me while watching - not happening. On Sunday, I did some touch stick by the race lanes and she did engage, so that is a good sign. She enjoys working with the touch stick. I gotta get motivated with Sneek. Either give her the time, dedication, & training that she needs or rehome her to someone that will. I thought a lot about that this weekend. Don't know if I am up to the task to train her - can I really do what it takes to train a flyball dog? Do I have the willingness and commitment it takes - especially with a dog like her? Guess that is a question only I can answer.

2 comments:

myspoileddogs said...

I thought you and jake both looked great out there! Ease up yourself and your dog! You are fantastic and still faster than dylan any day of the week!

Ohh and haven't you already trained one fantastic flyball dog? You have already proved you have it in you??? Just have to decide if you want to do it again really!!! There's not a question of can you do it but whether or not you want to do it!!! Each dog has different challenges but I wholeheartedly beleive that you are 100% capable of overcoming any issues that Sneak seems to have!!

Was great spending time with you!! Hope we get to do it again someday!!!

R3K9S said...

Very nice of you MSD.
And you are right...Do I want to do it again. Right now, I don't know if I have the energy or the motivation to do it. I am tired.... And having another dog with "issues" is getting to be a PITA.