Friday, November 14, 2008

Working with the dogs


Well, it was raining when I got home last night, so the dogs couldn't go outside or wouldn't go outside (at least my girls won't). So we did some work in the house.

Maddie and I did figure 8's which she actually started to offer!

I did jump work with Jake and Zoe. Poor Zoe is so heavy she has a hard time getting her butt over the jump but she eventually got it.

And little Neeko - so many things...She is really coming out of her shell - NUTTY PUPPY! Real bouncy with zoomies etc. I should rename her Sprite (that is a whole different post) So, I worked more with her than the others all thru out the night. We did some of the things we are learning in adult manners class - We are having a really hard time with stay. We also worked with her new clik stik; which now has a foam ball on the end. I just LOVE this device...And Neeko is a PRO!
I actually even put the stik on the wall and she jumped to the wall with her feet on it. I can tell she is going to have an awesome turn because she banks off my stomach all the time - LOL
We also worked on recalls - which well, isn't working too well. I also played ball with her - up and down the steps trying to teach her to retrieve. She doesn't bring the ball back to me. So, I put her on a line would throw the ball down the steps, have her get it, and reel her back into me - and click/treat her. But half the time she would drop it - or just touch the ball and coming running back to me. Wonder if she could learn by watching Jake retrieving.
I also tried getting her to jump into my lap while I was sitting down...Wasn't happening...

And I won't even mention the potty issue. Got a vet appointment for her next week as I am thinking she might have a UTI.

See, SO MUCH - maybe too much for the little girl....So, I wonder what is most important right now? Is it our bond? Is it our recall? I should probably leave the retrieve and the touch stick. I want to work on the commands we are learning in class and i have to get our recall down.

But I also want her to learn to tug - OY VEY!
I did get her a new toy - because she loves the ones outside so I thought I would try smaller ones for inside.
I got her a 6" jolly ball as she is always playing with the one outside
And i got her one of these. She carries the air kong around the yard - so I thought maybe I could get her to tug if one was on a rope.
So, I have started running around the front room like a mad woman swinging these over my head and then putting them away.....

Zoe did play chase with her last night. If you read my blog you have seen Maddie and Zoe play in our living room. That is what Neeko and Zoe did last night - but Neeko is much springer and faster than Maddie. It was really cute. I can't stand not being able to capture these moments in film! Oh well, it will be ready soon....

I guess I just need to remember a strong foundation is the key to anything - any relationship or any sport

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

bond with neeko, and dont be so intent on tug or anything, do everything as if its a game... the more you stress about her learning, the harder it might be for her, remember where she came from, this is all new to her, give her some time i am sure she will learn !!

myspoileddogs said...

glad to hear things are progressing with little neeko! i can't wait until you get your camera fixed so we can see more pics!

Astrid said...

How about bonding recall games? >G<
I will bring a DVD for you to watch that might help. Remind me!!!
Also, if she is clicker savvy, you should train her retreive with shaping. Believe is or not, but Raygen is a non-retriever. I can demo on Sunday.

R3K9S said...

Astrid - that would be wonderful!
Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Ann, I can visualize you running around like a mad woman with toys swinging over your head... LOL not sure why but I can see it clearly! ;)

I really love Neeko's name, too!