Monday, September 22, 2008

Maddie and Zoe walk together


First - nothing bad happened...

I never walk Maddie with another dog - maybe 2x in the whole time she has lived with us. I just worry about stray dogs and her re-direction onto another dog; one in her pack. She is extremely DA. We have worked on it and she isn't as hot as she use to be. I can get her attention sooner than I could in the past - but she still is pretty reactive. Plus, I use our walks as training sessions for Maddie.

Well, yesterday I walked Zoe and Maddie together - why?? I don't know - it was early and I thought it would be good to give Zoe a nice long walk too. I also wanted some one on one time with Jake.

We ran into three other dogs, leashed, with their owners. But the strange thing happened when Maddie saw them - she was calmer than she had ever been. No reaction really...

I thought about it when we returned home. Was it just some "weird day" for Maddie? Or could have Zoe's presence calmed her just a little more - removed her fear - gave her just a little more trust? Trust in Zoe, trust in me, trust in her "pack".

Most people suggest that you never own two females close in age, especially if one of those is an APBT. But, Maddie. almost 3, and Zoe, 4 y/o , have nothing but love for each other and play together all the time. Side note; to see their play click here or here. I don't know much about pack hierarchy but to me it almost seems as if Zoe is Maddie's alpha - if that is possible. She respects Zoe in a way - if that makes sense...You have to see them together I guess to understand.

Again, this was a one time event and could of just been one of those day for Miss Maddie. She was also wearing her back pack - which I hear can help calm a dog. We really never walk without it now.

Either way, the situation made me smile and believe for just a short moment, Maddie and I are headed in a good direction.

2 comments:

myspoileddogs said...

It's true that some dogs do better with other dogs around. I wish D&M do better when they are together. Unfortunately they are worse!

R3K9S said...

Well, after careful thought - it was kind of irresponsible of me to take the chance of walking the two together. I don't think I will be doing it again....