Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Flyball Dream


First look at the photo above. A friend took it of Jake. But, do you see that smile on his face? THAT SMILE is the reason we play flyball.

I had a flyball dream last night. Yes, I have dreams about flyball - lol
During Jake's training, I had more than I do now, but once in a while when I am nervous about something concerning our performance, I dream.

Jake and I are going to Bishop, CA http://www.bishopvisitor.com/ to participate in the Bishop Bash Tournament. We are running on a pick up team with Stampede Flyball team. http://flyballdogs.com/stampede/


Monday I received the schedule. We are in division 2. Our seed time is 17.50. We are running 5/5 on the team.Now the dogs we will be running with and against are probably 4.0+ dogs (probably no dog runs below 4.3). Jake averages around a 4.7, with good passes. Also, Jake is running singles both Saturday and Sunday.

So, I am having some anxiety and fear about running with these faster dogs because we, Jake and I, do not run that fast. I think mostly it has to do with ego and pride - lol
We will have to pass dogs we have never practiced passing before and Jake will be using a different/faster box than he is use to. But hey, this is what I signed up for right?

Back to the dream. In the dream Jenna, a woman we are running with in Bishop, tells me that it is ok. That Jake running against faster dogs will push him to run faster. Which, might actually be true because he is pretty competitive. But he also likes to look at the dog in the other lane to see where they are at and that slows him down.

So, anyway, I need to remember why we are going to Bishop and try not to focus so much on perfection with our performance.

Why are we going?
to have fun
to have one on one time with each other (Jake and I)
to experience a tournament in California
to earn some points
to get closer to our Singles Pin
And....
just to RUN - as Jake LOVES LOVES LOVES playing flyball. And because of that I am willing to travel for him. He is my boy - a good dog and he has taught me much and given me so much. The least I can do is give back to him - and flyball seems to be one of the things he loves to do. SO why deny him an opportunity to play all weekend long if I have the opportunity and means to do so...

So, note to self; relax and have fun. Remember why you are going - remember the SMILE on his face in the above photo. Remember, what ever you focus on increases. So focus on the why's and leave the performance anxiety in the background. You can deal with that once you get there. It will all be good and Jake will do well!

6 comments:

myspoileddogs said...

Jake will do great!! I am so excited for you!! Such a fun opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh how fun! We did the Open team in NAFA and that was fun, too. Just going and doing flyball is fun, I'm so glad there are open and pickup teams!

You guys will be great! I just hope they don't keep switching out the dog in front of you,LOL.

R3K9S said...

Thanks MSD> Yes it is a great opportunity to visit CA and meet some new people.

R3K9S said...

I hope they don't either Cyn!

Passing is such a weak point for Jake and I...well, for me - lol

Anonymous said...

oh stop, Jake will do great, let him enjoy himself and do what he does best and stop worrying!!

R3K9S said...

Thanks ME! You are right....