Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 12

Day 12 March 16

Well, MY plans went out the window today.

Zoe injured herself in the back yard.  She came in shaking.  So, I went ahead and took her to the vet.  At this point, I need peace of mind no matter the price.  the vet examined her and did xrays. The final diagnosis, is she just overextended herself.  The xray showed how severe her arthritis is in her knees.  There is some in her hip.   He did compliment me on how great of shape she is in.  He said that is so important with a dog with her history.  So, we started her on medication for pain and inflammation.  He suggested a down week for Zoe.

So, after we came home I felt the need to get back to my plan for the day.  I do this for my dogs AND for me.  I need to physically get this stress out of my body.   I grabbed Maddie and took her on a hour hike.  I fought to relax with her on this hike.  I accepted the fact she was going to stop and smell. I allowed it.  Why fight it as she is going to do it and she needs to do it. Hurrying thru a hike isn't relaxing.  You aren't going to win against nature Ann.  So, I stayed in the moment and let Maddie be in charge (to a point). :-)

After I dropped her off, I grabbed Jake.  I wanted to get him up to the mountains.  And I too wanted to go up with him.  I wanted to have him in the snow and pine again.  We drove up to the end of the canyon road. We got out and took a short walk.  He smiled and pulled me the whole time :-).  I kept it short and left.  I turned around and we went back up.  Out of the E we went.  We just sat on a bench.   I used my senses and immersed myself in the moment.  The smell of the pine, the sound of the moving stream, the sight of the towering trees filled with snow and the softness on Jake's coat.  I watched Jake use his nose to take in the smell.  We said a few prayers and I sat in meditation for a few moments. Nature keeps me right sized, keeps me humble.  It reminds me there is a God who is all loving and in charge.  

Our afternoon is a moment I will treasure.