Monday, December 29, 2008

She snuggeled with me

Neek usually sleeps in a crate. She HATES it...She whines when I put her in and whines when she wakes up to come out. Getting her in is a challenge each night. I know - crate games are in order ;) She loves her X-pen. But the thought of dragging it up and down the steps late at night and early morning - well I am lazy. Guess I expect her to love it as much as Maddie who will run so fast to her crate and whines for us to open the door so she can sleep..Well, I need to realize Neeko isn't Maddie; nor is she Jake or Zoe

So this morning she woke up around 4:15 am crying to go potty. I let her out. Then when we came back in, I let her free in the room. She hopped up on the bed and actually snuggle next to me. She put her head on my legs. If i moved, she moved so she could lay on me. It was awfully sweet.She has not done that since she has been in our home.

I give her a hard time - she isn't the drivey little puppy I had hoped for. It's like I just can't tap into that place in her. I will admit; it is frustrating. She isn't the dog I was hoping for. She doesn't have that competitive drive for the games as Jake does. Jake spoiled me in flyball. And Maddie has spoiled me in training. Maddie is so eager to learn and so willing to work for me (but that is one of the wonderful traits of an APBT)

Neek can be fast - when she is chasing Jake. Someone said to me "maybe flyball isn't in her stars". I will admit - that is why i took her - to have another flyball dog. And if she doesn't do flyball - well then what? Three dogs that can't/won't play the game I have come to love....Boy am I projecting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to remember where she came from - what her life was like before. Plus, she isn't even a year yet. And i need to remember - she has only been with us 2 months. Just 2 months! She will continue to show her true self - her true colors. I am sure she is still feeling her way around But hopefully, this morning, I saw a little glimmer of a pup that trusts and wants to be close - that knows she will have ONE place to lay her little head at night. And you know what - maybe she isn't the pup I really want, but the one the Universe thinks I really need.

4 comments:

Cynthia Blue said...

What a sweet picture. :)

It's so hard to know with rescues... even with puppies that might be purebred, what they are going to turn out like. At least I never know... probably because most of mine are rescues too! Like I was really hoping Muffit would have more self control to do flyball faster. But I guess he's not another Chase. Oh well, he's a good boy just for who he is!

myspoileddogs said...

Ahh, you can never really know why she ended up with you and you couldn't know what she would turn out like. It sounds like whatever it is, it was meant to be.

R3K9S said...

You are both right. And it is still way to early to tell...

MSD - Hey you are back! I can't wait to hear about your trip...
Hurry go blog ;)

Anonymous said...

aw she is coming out of her shell!!! just enjoy her, put flyball out of your head for now, and let her settle in ... i am sure once she is settled totally and a little more mature you will see a change for the better.. Yep, Fate sure has a funny way of working doesnt it?? I too know how you feel...