Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Speaking of Costco, I bought a book there today. I am a reader..If it's a good book, I will read cover to cover within a weekend. And with the storm rolling in, nothing better on a rainy day/ night than a good book (well good chocolate comes in pretty close) with tired dogs snuggled up beside you. It is called The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski . Yes, it is Oprah's 2008 Book Club Selection. That isn't why I bought it but that is how I heard about it. I am not a huge fan of Oprah. I read that the book was about a mute boy and the way he communicates with his dogs - the dogs his family breeds and raises. Well, I read DOGS and I was interested. I even read that a few chapters are from the dog's point of view.The more I read about this book, the more I yearned to read it.The book is about SO much more.. . So, that is my plan for this evening once the storm rolls in. I doubt I will finish it this weekend since I have already blown all my reading time taking care of my responsibilities - lol..Yuck responsibility -

Below is a review posted on Amazon. But please don't buy it from there - ;) - see this post
5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to lose some sleep!, June 21, 2008
By Zechristof "zechristof" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
There are at least three ways to introduce this wonderful American novel to you. I could say, in summary, that this novel is like a 20th Century American midwestern Hamlet with dogs. That kind of lead would draw me in, but it might leave you cold. But be assured: you don't have to love dogs or dote on Shakespeare to adore this fine novel.
Or I could say, Here is an extraordinarily well-written novel set in mid-20th Century Wisconsin and built around four beautifully crafted characters: Edgar Sawtelle, the mute but very bright son; Gar Sawtelle, the warm persevering father; Trudy Sawtelle, the disciplined but sweetly loving mother; and Claude Sawtelle, Gar's brother who returns from years in the Navy and on the road to turn the world upside down for the Sawtelles. If you are into relational stories, that lead might grab you.
But I think the best way to prepare you for this book is to tell you that once you reach the incredible scene where Edgar is confronted by the ghost of his dead father, you will not be able to set this book down until you finish it. Since this scene occurs approximately in the middle of the story and the book runs to some 576 pages, be prepared to lose some sleep.
One of the claims of Claude Sawtelle is that you can have anything you want if you are patient. That may or may not be true in your case. But if you are patient with the rich, convincing unfolding of this story, you can certainly have a rewarding reading experience.
P.S.: If you do love dogs, you will love the book even more.

No comments: